Fall 2019: Aug. 25-Dec. 20
Instructor: Sam Wortman
Class No.: AGRO/HORT/TLMT 100, section 700.Credits: Three (3) undergraduate credits
This courses offers an introduction to a diverse range of plant and landscape systems as well as management strategies for balancing economic and environmental sustainability. It includes foundational principles of plant biology, landscape ecology, and environmental science using real-world case studies.
Fulfills ACE 4 requirement at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Academic Credit via MyRed
For the ACE 4 outcome, students will be asked to use scientific methods and knowledge of the natural and physical world to address problems through inquiry, interpretation, analysis, and the making of inferences from data, to determine whether conclusions or solutions are reasonable.
During this course, students will:
- Increase knowledge of a diverse range of plant and landscape management systems;
- Discuss basic principles of plant biology, landscape ecology, and environmental science within the context of current global sustainability challenges;
- Use the scientific method to ask questions, gather and interpret data, and inform decisions about complex challenges in plant and landscape systems;
- Systematically compare plant and landscape management solutions to complex problems and improve critical thinking skills; and
- Improve communication skills using written and digital platforms to disseminate scientific information.
Students will need a broadband Internet access and platform that is compatible with the Canvas course management system. High-speed Internet access with an updated browser, email, and the ability to view files in Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as video files. Recommended browsers are Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
No textbook is required. Instead, assigned course readings for specific topic areas will be made available on Canvas.
High School science and/or biology class preferred.
For information on tuition and fees, visit the Student Accounts website for Undergraduate Tuition.